Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Saturday Morning Book Review

Yarn Harlot, The Secret Life of a Knitter, by Stephanie Pearl McPhee

As you know I am new to knitting and supposedly the Yarn Harlot, Stephanie Pearl McPhee is the queen of all things knitting. I heard her on a podcast, I am not sure who's (sorry), and I knew that I had to look at her blog, http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/ , and start reading her books. While I was in Florida I picked up Yarn Harlot, The Secret Life of a Knitter. I am telling you that this is one of the funniest books I have ever read. I do not think it matters whether you knit, crochet, scrap book or participate in any other obsessive compulsive stash orientated obsession, I'm sorry, craft, you will love this book.


 

    "I love knitting because it's something that can be accomplished no matter how poorly it's going at any given moment. It's a triumph of dexterity over string. I can't make my kids turn out the way I want; I have no control over my editor; world peace remains elusive despite my very best efforts; but all of that be damned—I can put a heel in a sock and it will go exactly the way I want it to go. Eventually, at least.

Knitting is magic. Knitting is an act of creation and a simple transformation each and every time."


 

This passage says exactly what I have always felt about any craft that I have done throughout my life. I don't know what people do who do not have some type of creative outlet. I think that I would be far crazier than I am now. (For those who know me, just imagine that?) I have added Yarn Harlot in Favorites-Book Reviews. Pick it up and I bet you will be picking up some type of needle, hook, string or something soon.


 

Happy reading,

Laura

No comments: