Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Good afternoon. Motto for the day: "He without sin, cast the first stone." I don't know if that is an exact quote, but close enough. It is from the Bible. I am referring to the Governor of New York who got caught with his pants down, so to speak. They say he was a tough guy and brought as many on Wall Street down as he could. He should have made sure that his own house was in order. I think it is kind of cool that the guy taking his place has been blind since birth. That goes to show that if a person tries they can do anything since running the New York is like running a country, and not a small one at that.

On the Crochet/Knit Front I am weaving in the ends of my sister in laws scarf. She also requested hats for herself and my niece. I will have to think on that when the scarf is completely finished.

On the Green Front Let's talk about plug-in hybrid electric vehicle or PHEV. How do they work and how long will it be before we can get one? Toyota is set to offer a plug in Prius by 2010 and the Chevy Volt will be debuting at the same time (I hope my dear van can hold out that long.) Both the Volt and the Toyota will be fueled by lithium-ion batteries. These are the type of batteries you have in your digital camera. They can hold a charge longer than normal batteries. These cars are charged by being plugged into a normal power outlet (I will be forced to clean out my garage, at least I have until 2010.)

"Each charge, which takes about four hours, uses the equivalent of 2.7 kilowatt hours of electricity, said Jaycie Chitwood, a senior strategic planner in Toyota’s advanced technologies group."

GM said that the Volt would be able to go about 40 miles on one charge, so even if you can not charge your car at work, at least one way to work will be on electricity so that should cut your gas usage in half. If you work close to home or just tool around town running errands, then it will all be electric. The only downside is the increase in need for electricity which could be produced in less than ecofriendly ways, such as coal. There are always trade offs so before you buy you need to do your homework. In the long run we would at least become less dependant on foreign oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/business/14cnd-plug.html?pagewanted=1&WT.mc_id=BI-S-E-YH-NA-NA-hybrid_toyota_news&WT.mc_ev=click&ei=5087&en=eea2fe9f71f77972&ex=1215925200&WT.srch=1&excamp=OVBUhybridtoyotanews
By MICHELINE MAYNARD
Published: January 14, 2008

On the Weight Loss Front I worked out yesterday even though I said I was not going to. Today I am not going to. Yea for yesterday.

Peace,
Laura

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the Volt. Check out news, pics, videos and more at http://www.chevy-volt.net