Saturday, September 06, 2008

Yes, it has been forever since I have posted, but with worrying about hurricanes and work and everyone having a birthday, I have not had much time. I have been knitting though and I will soon have a finished pair of socks to show, Monkey by Cookie A. I have also been watching Battlestar Galactica, the new one. I have just started season 4 and I think that it is the last of the series. Overall I have enjoyed it very much. I am a Star Trek fan from way, way back and I have never really gotten over my love for space sci-fi. One of my favorite book series of all time is the Ender series by Orson Scott Card. If you have not read it, make sure you do so in order and, if you can, listen to the series instead of read it. Card, himself, says that he writes his books to be read as a performance. I will be sorry when I am through with Galactica, but I am then going to start on the Stargate franchise and there are many, many seasons of them.

I know that you may be wondering why I am spending my time on sci-fi when the new school year has started. Well, I really like my new job and right now I am going to concentrate on becoming a Certified Research Administration Accountant. I begin the University of Houston System certification classes this month and I can't wait to get started. I guess I am returning to the skills I already have and at 45 I am ready to embrace this career and then be able to spend my free time doing things that I truly love, like knitting, crocheting and being with friends. I will still be reading the classics and reviewing them here. In fact, I hope to find a good online classics book club to join.

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend and remember to send comments.

Peace,
Laura

1 comment:

Ruby Louise said...

I love the Ender books too. I have also thoroughly enjoyed Ender's Shadow and the Shadow series. Audiobooks have been dramatically improving my knitting and spinning productivity!

Speaking of space fiction...have you read any of the Miles Vorkosigan books by Louise McMaster Bujold or the Honor Harrington series by David Weber? They are also excellent reading.

Cheers,
Morenna